Whether you’re looking to upgrade your home or increase the value
for sale, one of the most exciting experiences for a homeowner is remodeling
their house. It is imperative to hire the services of an experienced and
skilled electrician if substantial rewiring is required. However, we understand
that this type of project is an expensive venture and looking for ways
to save money can be of great importance, which can result in hiring inexperienced
help or homeowners performing the rewiring tasks on their own.
The following are common mistakes that an unqualified electrician or homeowner
can make during renovations which may cause shocks and potential fires:
Have too many wires in an electrical box. Stuffing a large amount of wires in a box can run the risk of overheating
and causing a fire. The box size should be increased in order to accommodate
the variety of wires and prevent short-circuiting.
Connect wires without electrical boxes. When you leave the wires exposed without an electrical box, the connections
can easily sustain damage and cause short circuit to occur. Additionally,
you can run the risk of loose connections, which can cause shocks.
Cut the wires too short. The problem with cutting wires too short is that poor connections can develop,
which can become hazardous.
Use extension cords as permanent wiring. Typically seen in outdoor spaces, using an extension cord as a permanent
electrical source can run the risk of creating a house fire. These cords
are often unable to withstand the amount of electricity to power a home,
causing a malfunction.
Use the junction box and clamps to protect wires. Junction boxes and clamps help to protect wires and cables which are connected
to kitchen appliances and help you avoid experiencing shocks and sparks
when the appliance is connected. Often homeowners will not install these
components since they occupy a large amount of space.
If you are planning on remodeling your home and need an experienced Atlanta
contact Lightning Bug Electric and
schedule an appointment to meet our professional staff today.