You might be in need of
rewiring if you haven’t inspected your own wiring for three to four years
or you’ve purchased a property which requires renovation. According
to a study conducted by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), 46% of 2007-2011
home electrical fires started with ignition of products typically found
in concealed spaces, with wire or cable insulation contributing to 30%
of those fires.
The wiring for any property needs to be safe and properly maintained within
the legal guidelines.
You must take action if the following circumstances are true:
Property is Over 40 Years Old
Old wiring can degrade, exposing your home to potential dangers. If you
home is old and maintains its original wiring, it is imperative you immediately
have it rewired. Wiring systems from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s are
not capable of handling the electrical demand from twenty-first century
appliances we use every single day, such as televisions, microwaves, hairdryers,
washers, dryers, and cellphone chargers. Your usage might be placing increased
strain on the wiring.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission states that failing aluminum wire
connections tend to overheat, causing a fire. Between 1965 and 1873, an
estimated two million homes were built with aluminum wiring. You can distinguish
aluminum wiring in your home if “AL” is present on the wiring jacket.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
When your circuit breaker trips, it is preventing electricity from exceeding
its flow. Faulty or overheating electrical appliances connected to the
circuit can cause the circuit breaker to trip, but mainly old wiring is
the main nemesis.
If you notice a persistent burning smell, it’s most likely that
you have an electrical short. Any discoloration on switches or outlets
may indicate some sort of burning occurring from wiring within the walls.
If you are living in an old property, it’s best to
call an Atlanta electrical contractor (404) 471-3847 and have one of our expect electricians inspect and resolve
the issue today!