Every year, about 26,000 house fires occur and injure or kill over 1,300
people. Many house fires are preventable and following certain electrical
rules can help you avoid fire from occurring in your home.
Three steps to avoiding an electrical fire:
Replace old outlets and wiring – Electrical wiring that is over 20 years old could be out of date
and a potential hazard. Electrical standards and regulations change over
the years, especially as safer technology is created and brought into
the market. Also, the older wiring is not designed to withstand the electrical
load brought on by our computers, TVs, phone chargers, and more. Overloading
a dated system can trigger an electrical fire.
Don’t overload your outlets – Even in a newer home, an overloaded outlet is a hazard. Plugging
in too many items, like lamps, toasters, TVs, chargers, coffee makers,
etc., into one outlet can cause it to heat up. The wires and outlet can
overheat and catch on fire.
Carefully use extension cords – Extension cords are a useful item for any homeowner. They are
great for helpful hands, such as getting electricity to your Christmas
tree when it is too far from an outlet. However, they were not designed
for continuous use. Many homeowners will use extension cords all the time,
for year-round use. This can cause them to overheat and catch on fire.
If your home just doesn’t have useful outlets without extension
cords, higher an electrician to install some in useful places.
Following these three helpful tips can take your potentially at-risk home
and make it safer. If you would like more advice on how to make your home
more secure when it comes to electrical safety, contact Lightning Bug
Electric and schedule a service with one of our
Marietta electricians. We can provide the insight you need!
Get started today and request a service.