Faulty electrical systems are responsible for a majority of residential
fires each year in the United States. Old, outdated, and overloaded electrical
systems can malfunction, causing sparks, heat, and flames that put everyone
at risk. That is why it is important to take steps to prevent an electrical
fire in your home.
Here are 5 things to consider when making your home safe from electrical
Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Ground fault circuit interrupters must be installed in bathrooms, as well
as the kitchen, laundry room, garage, basement, and workshop in your home.
They should be tested on a monthly basis to ensure they are in proper
Plugs. You should never try to force a plug into an electrical outlet, or remove
the grounding pin from a plug to fit it into a two-conductor outlet. Furthermore,
it is important to avoid overloading outlets with too many appliance plugs
or adapters. You should also check for loose plugs, which could create
a shock or fire hazard.
Electrical outlets. Electrical outlets should be properly installed, and should have no broken
or missing wall plates. Unused outlets in the home should be covered with
a tamper-resistant guard to protect children. Furthermore, wiring and
other components should never be exposed, as this could cause electrical
shocks or fires.
Light bulbs. Lights that have a higher wattage rating than the fixture recommendations
should be replaced with light bulbs that have the proper wattage. In addition,
light bulbs should be fully screwed in and secure. This will help prevent
overheating, which could cause an electrical fire.
Cords. Cords should not be nailed or stapled to floors, walls, or other surfaces.
Furthermore, they should be in good condition. Replacing worn, cracked,
or frayed cords can help prevent an electrical fire. Extension cords should
also be used temporarily, instead of being used as permanent wiring in
your house. They should have safety closures to protect children from
electrical burn injuries.
Have Electrical Problems in Your Home? Call Our Marietta Electricians Today
at (404) 471-3847.
Electrical hazards, such as worn out and exposed wiring, overloaded outlets,
and loose light bulbs, can cause a destructive fire in your home. By conducting
a safety check, you can help prevent an electrical fire and keep your
family safe. If you notice burnt outlets, an acrid odor in your home,
frequently tripped circuit breakers, or other electrical issues, it is
important to get in touch with our Marietta electricians as soon as possible.
We will inspect your home’s electrical systems, diagnose the problems,
and provide an efficient solution so you can have peace of mind.
For all your electrical emergencies,
contact Lightning Bug Electric today to speak with a member of our team. Your safety and satisfaction
is our concern.