According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), poor insulation around
electrical wiring is one of the leading causes of electrical fires in
the United States. Homes that were built more than 50 years ago are at
particularly high risk for electrical fires. Older wiring is not equipped
to handle the electrical load of most modern homes. This means, as you
use more electricity to run washing machines, dryers, microwaves, TVs,
phones, and other equipment, the wiring may heat up, causing the insulation
and surrounding materials to ignite.
Other than the age of your home, there are other signs that can alert you
to a potential wiring hazard:
You notice burnt odors in the walls. A burnt smell in your home that does not have an identifiable source is
a clear sign of wiring problems. When the old or faulty wires are used,
they heat up. Without proper insulation, the hot wires may cause a burnt
or acrid odor in your home.
Your circuit breaker trips frequently. Circuit breakers are designed to protect your home from a fire by turning
off the electricity when a circuit exceeds the maximum number of amps.
They may trip for a variety of reasons, such as an overheating electrical
appliance. However, if you notice that your circuit breaker is tripping
frequently, it may be that the wiring is faulty or poorly insulated.
You notice that wall outlets and switches are discolored. Loose connections and faulty wiring near outlets and switches may cause
sparks that leave the area charred or discolored. If you notice that the
wall outlets or switches in your home look burnt, it is important to call
a professional electrician to diagnose the issue and provide a solution.
Need Professional Rewiring in Your Home? Call Lightning Bug Electric Today
at (404) 471-3847!
With more than 25 years of experience, Lightning Bug Electric provides
efficient wiring and rewiring services to residential customers. If your
home is more than 50 years old, or you notice signs of faulty or poorly
insulated wiring,we will come to your home, inspect the system, and install
high quality and durable products to keep you safe.
Contact our office
today to discuss your situation with a member of our team.