Electricity is everywhere; we are around it at home, at work, at school, and it’s
all around us, especially while we’re indoors. While most people
understand that electricity can be dangerous, even life-threatening, not
all of us were paying attention when we were learning about it in school.
And, even if we did get an A on the test about electricity, it doesn’t
mean we remember what we learned!
Think of this post as a refresher course on the most dangerous electrical
safety hazards and if you have children living at home, it’s a good
idea to have them read this article too. As we mentioned earlier, there
are so many electrical hazards at home, at work, and inside office buildings
and stores – the hazards are everywhere. The issue is we are so
dependent on electricity, it’s causing people to get seriously injured
Children Are the Most Common Victims
When it comes to those who are seriously injured or killed by electricity,
the most common victims are children who simply didn’t know any
better. When children are not carefully supervised around electricity,
they can be seriously injured. By becoming educated on the biggest hazards
in regard to electrical safety, you can help keep your home and your family
safe! You may even save someone’s life.
These are 5 of the most dangerous electrical hazards:
Handling an electrical appliance with wet hands: If you wash your hands and then handle an electrical appliance or touch
an electrical socket, you could be setting yourself up for an electric
shock. It’s even worse if you have sweat on your hands because saltwater
conducts electricity better than water alone.
An electrical outlet is close to water: Electrical
outlets in places with water, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms need
to be located a safe distance away from sinks, tubs, and showers. If an
outlet is in the kitchen or bathroom, our outdoors, it should be a Ground
Fault Circuit Interrupting (GFCI) type, so fire and electrical shock hazards
Uncovered electrical sockets in homes with small children: A home with infants and toddlers should not have uncovered electrical sockets
because small children are naturally curious and they’re in the
habit of sticking their tiny fingers and other objects in electrical sockets.
Homes with small children must be outfitted with electrical outlet covers
designed for babyproofing.
Damaged electrical cords: Frayed, damaged, or torn electrical cords are electrical hazards. Inspect
your electrical cords regularly and ensure they are in good shape.
Covered electrical cords: Electrical cords create (radiate) heat, so they should never be covered
by furniture, blankets, or rugs. If they’re covered, they can overheat
and cause an electrical fire.
Home Electrical Safety: Are You Knowledgeable?
We hope this article helped you better understand
electrical safety in the home. For all of your
commercial electrical needs in the Greater Atlanta Area,
contact Lightning Bug Electric today!