It’s the fall or winter and your home’s furnace is broken.
So, you head over to the local Walmart and pick up a couple of space heaters.
After you’ve been using your new space heater for a month or so,
you don’t realize that your dog has been chewing on the cord. Now,
it’s 9:00 PM and all you want to do is plug in the space heater,
but the chewed cord gets your attention. Can you still plug in the cord
and take a risk, or is it not worth it?
As you were vacuuming the living room floor, you vacuumed over the cord
for the 100th time. The cord is starting to look a little worn, but you
still want to finish the job before company comes over. The wires start
to be exposed, but you vacuum anyway. Should you toss your vacuum, or
is it still safe to use?
Know Which Power Cords Are Safe
When electrical appliances are moved frequently, their power cords can
receive a lot of abuse. We’re referring to vacuum cleaners, space
heaters, power tools, hairdryers, curling irons, and other portable appliances.
Damaged power cords can be extremely dangerous and pose two main risks:
electrical shock and
Damage to power cords can be caused by:
- Heavy use
- Pinching on the cord
- The cord being caught between heavy objects
- The cord being pinched or punctured by heave objects, such as the legs of a desk
- Too much current flowing through the wires
- Pulling or yanking the cord out of the outlet instead of pulling on the
Regardless if a cord is damaged by age, heavy use, pinching, or bearing
too much weight (when an appliance is hung by its cord), a damaged cord
increases the risk of electrical shock, fire, or electrocution, and should
NOT be used.
“The electric cord on your appliance contains a live wire that is
securely insulated. But if a cord becomes frayed, the live wire can be
exposed. This is dangerous and can leave you vulnerable electric fires,”
according to the FDNY Foundation. To read a short but good list of electrical
cord safety tips, click
3 Electrical Dangers to Be Aware Of