Although Atlanta has relatively mild temperatures, it can get pretty cold in the fall and winter months. When the temperatures start to drop, it’s common for dog owners to start looking for ways to keep their pets warm and cozy until spring arrives. Aside from doggy sweaters, some pet owners consider buying their dogs heated beds.
Everyone deserves to be warm, and it becomes more important to keep our dogs warm as they get older, or if they have health conditions that make it harder for them to deal with the cold. Fortunately, there are lots of heated dog beds on the market for us to choose from, but like space heaters and electric blankets used by people sometimes with reservations, dog owners can’t help but ask, “Are heated dog beds safe?”
Heated Dog Beds: Hazard or Good Investment?
Do heated dog beds pose electrical hazards? What if my dog chews the cord? Are they a good investment, or is the risk too high? Heated dog beds are an investment that can certainly make dogs more comfortable in the cold, but they’re not a necessity. If you’re considering buying a heated dog bed for your canine, keep the following in mind:
- If you have an elderly dog with a health condition like hip dysplasia, a spinal injury, arthritis, or a joint problem, a heated dog bed may increase your pet’s comfort. However, if your dog gets uncomfortably hot, they may have difficulty getting off the heated dog bed, so you should supervise them at all times.
- If your dog has short fur, a heated dog bed may be a good option.
- Make sure you use a heated bed made specifically for pets. You may have an electrical blanket in your closet, but that does not mean it’s safe for pets. You should only use a heated bed designed for dogs.
- Some heated dog beds use a cord, while others are wireless. If you buy one with a cord, make sure it’s a chew-resistant cord, and make sure the bed cover is removable so it can be washed.
- Always make sure that cords are out of your dog’s reach to prevent them from being injured. If you have a puppy, supervise them at all times when on the heated bed.