Watch Out for These Electrical Safety Hazards!


Electricity is everywhere; we are around it at home, at work, at school, and it’s all around us, especially while we’re indoors. While most people understand that electricity can be dangerous, even life-threatening, not all of us were paying attention when we were learning about it in school. And, even if we did get an A on the test about electricity, it doesn’t mean we remember what we learned!

Think of this post as a refresher course on the most dangerous electrical safety hazards and if you have children living at home, it’s a good idea to have them read this article too. As we mentioned earlier, there are so many electrical hazards at home, at work, and inside office buildings and stores – the hazards are everywhere. The issue is we are so dependent on electricity, it’s causing people to get seriously injured or killed.

Children Are the Most Common Victims

When it comes to those who are seriously injured or killed by electricity, the most common victims are children who simply didn’t know any better. When children are not carefully supervised around electricity, they can be seriously injured. By becoming educated on the biggest hazards in regard to electrical safety, you can help keep your home and your family safe! You may even save someone’s life.

These are 5 of the most dangerous electrical hazards:

  1. Handling an electrical appliance with wet hands: If you wash your hands and then handle an electrical appliance or touch an electrical socket, you could be setting yourself up for an electric shock. It’s even worse if you have sweat on your hands because saltwater conducts electricity better than water alone.
  2. An electrical outlet is close to water: Electrical outlets in places with water, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms need to be located a safe distance away from sinks, tubs, and showers. If an outlet is in the kitchen or bathroom, our outdoors, it should be a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupting (GFCI) type, so fire and electrical shock hazards are reduced.
  3. Uncovered electrical sockets in homes with small children: A home with infants and toddlers should not have uncovered electrical sockets because small children are naturally curious and they’re in the habit of sticking their tiny fingers and other objects in electrical sockets. Homes with small children must be outfitted with electrical outlet covers designed for babyproofing.
  4. Damaged electrical cords: Frayed, damaged, or torn electrical cords are electrical hazards. Inspect your electrical cords regularly and ensure they are in good shape.
  5. Covered electrical cords: Electrical cords create (radiate) heat, so they should never be covered by furniture, blankets, or rugs. If they’re covered, they can overheat and cause an electrical fire.

Next: Home Electrical Safety: Are You Knowledgeable?

We hope this article helped you better understand electrical safety in the home. For all of your residential or commercial electrical needs in the Greater Atlanta Area, contact Lightning Bug Electric today!

Share To: