Common Causes of Electrical Fires

Flames coming out of an outlet.

Did you know that almost 50,000 fires that occur in U.S. homes each year are due to electrical fires? Your home is a place where you should feel safe and comfortable, not a place where you should worry about the possibility of an electrical fire destroying it. While fires can be caused by many things, we’re going to discuss the main causes of electrical fires in homes. In this blog post, Lightning Bug Electric will discuss some common causes of electrical fires and how to prevent them. Follow these simple tips, and you can help keep your family safe from this type of disaster.

Outdated Wiring

One common cause of electrical fires is outdated wiring. If your home has old, out-of-date wiring, it is time to replace it. Old wiring might not be able to handle the amount of electricity your home needs to use, which can result in an electrical fire. While updating your wiring might be a big project, it is surely not a do-it-yourself project. You will need to rely on Lightning Bug Electric to do the job right.

Using Space Heaters Incorrectly

Another common cause of electrical fires is misusing space heaters. When used correctly, space heaters can be a great way to stay warm in cold weather, but they should never be relied on as your main source of heat. If they are not used properly, they can be a fire hazard. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and never leave a space heater unattended. Here are some safety tips when it comes to using space heaters:

  • Never leave the space heater unattended.
  • Do not place a space heater near flammable objects such as carpets, curtains, or rugs.
  • Do not leave your space heater near children or pets.

Extension Cords

Extension cords definitely come in handy, but they should not be used excessively. If used incorrectly or excessively, they can cause an electrical fire. If you need to use extension cords, make sure you never run them under rugs or carpets. Large, high-wattage appliances should also never be plugged into an extension cord. If you find yourself overusing extension cords, it’s most likely because you do not have enough outlets in your home. If this is the case, let Lightning Bug Electric know, and we can install additional outlets for you!

Outdated Appliances

Outdated appliances are another common cause of electrical fires in homes. If your appliances look like they belong in a different decade, it’s time to replace them. More importantly, if your old appliances have frayed or damaged cords, they can catch fire. It’s best to update your appliances to more current models.

Overloading Outlets

Overloading outlets is yet another common cause of electrical fires. When an outlet is overloaded, it can overheat and start a fire. Be sure to plug only one appliance into each outlet, and never exceed the maximum wattage rating for the outlet.

Misusing Light Fixtures

Finally, misusing light fixtures is a common cause of electrical fires. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when installing or using light fixtures. Never use a light fixture with a higher wattage bulb than the fixture is rated for.

By following these simple tips, you can help prevent electrical fires in your home. If you have any concerns about the safety of your home's electrical system, be sure to contact Lightning Bug Electric by giving us a call at (404) 471-3847 or filling out our online contact form. Your safety is our priority, and we’re here to ensure you feel as safe and comfortable in your home as possible!