A lot of people grew up with their parents making comments like, “Do you owe stock in the electric company?” when they left the lights on when they left a room. These types of comments from frugal parents are understandable because electricity isn’t cheap. In some counties in Georgia, it’s not uncommon for people to pay $300 or $400 every month.
Since it can be expensive running the HVAC system, electrical dryers, space heaters, and hot water heaters, it makes sense to find ways to conserve energy and save money on your electric bill.
“Reducing energy use in your home saves you money, increases our energy security, and reduces the pollution that is emitted from non-renewable sources of energy,” says the U.S. Department of Energy. So, what can you start doing today to start saving money?
There are lots of ways to reduce how much electricity you use in your home:
- Purchase energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
- Invest in an advanced power strip to reduce electricity that is wasted when household electronics are not in use.
- Purchase energy-efficient lightbulbs and lighting.
- Incorporate more natural light in your home during the day with windows and skylights.
- Install energy-efficient windows that not only let natural light in, but reduce your heating and cooling bills.
- Purchase energy-efficient space heating and cooling systems.
- Incorporate solar panels into your home’s design.
- Make sure your home is properly air-sealed and insulated.
- Switch to an electric water heater or an energy-efficient model that doesn’t rely on electricity.
- Invest in glass doors for fireplaces. These prevent heated air from escaping.
- Check the seals on all doors, windows and appliances, including your fridge and freezer. A bad seal will allow energy to escape, hitting you where it hurts – in your wallet.
- Stop washing clothes in hot water. If you switch to warm or cold water, you could cut your energy-usage per a load in half.
- Install dimmer switches to improve the ambiance of your home while saving electricity.
Are you looking for a professional electrical contractor in the Greater Atlanta Area? Contact Lightning Bulb Electric for all of your electrical needs.