How Can I Avoid an Electrical Fire in My Home?


Faulty electrical systems are responsible for a majority of residential fires each year in the United States. Old, outdated, and overloaded electrical systems can malfunction, causing sparks, heat, and flames that put everyone at risk. That is why it is important to take steps to prevent an electrical fire in your home.

Here are 5 things to consider when making your home safe from electrical fire hazards:

  1. Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Ground fault circuit interrupters must be installed in bathrooms, as well as the kitchen, laundry room, garage, basement, and workshop in your home. They should be tested on a monthly basis to ensure they are in proper working condition.
  2. Plugs. You should never try to force a plug into an electrical outlet, or remove the grounding pin from a plug to fit it into a two-conductor outlet. Furthermore, it is important to avoid overloading outlets with too many appliance plugs or adapters. You should also check for loose plugs, which could create a shock or fire hazard.
  3. Electrical outlets. Electrical outlets should be properly installed, and should have no broken or missing wall plates. Unused outlets in the home should be covered with a tamper-resistant guard to protect children. Furthermore, wiring and other components should never be exposed, as this could cause electrical shocks or fires.
  4. Light bulbs. Lights that have a higher wattage rating than the fixture recommendations should be replaced with light bulbs that have the proper wattage. In addition, light bulbs should be fully screwed in and secure. This will help prevent overheating, which could cause an electrical fire.
  5. Cords. Cords should not be nailed or stapled to floors, walls, or other surfaces. Furthermore, they should be in good condition. Replacing worn, cracked, or frayed cords can help prevent an electrical fire. Extension cords should also be used temporarily, instead of being used as permanent wiring in your house. They should have safety closures to protect children from electrical burn injuries.

Have Electrical Problems in Your Home? Call Our Marietta Electricians Today at (404) 471-3847.

Electrical hazards, such as worn out and exposed wiring, overloaded outlets, and loose light bulbs, can cause a destructive fire in your home. By conducting a safety check, you can help prevent an electrical fire and keep your family safe. If you notice burnt outlets, an acrid odor in your home, frequently tripped circuit breakers, or other electrical issues, it is important to get in touch with our Marietta electricians as soon as possible. We will inspect your home’s electrical systems, diagnose the problems, and provide an efficient solution so you can have peace of mind.

For all your electrical emergencies, contact Lightning Bug Electric today to speak with a member of our team. Your safety and satisfaction is our concern.

Related Posts:

Share To: