7 Telltale Signs Your Home Needs Rewiring

Outlet on fire from faulty wiring

Since electrical wiring is hidden from the naked eye, it’s ‘out of sight - out of mind” for most homeowners. People tend to forget about it and assume they only need to worry about rewiring if their home is more than 40 years old. This couldn’t be farther from the truth!

Old or faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of fires in a home. Being aware of potential problems can make all the difference in keeping your home safe from a dangerous situation. In this blog, the experts at Lightning Bug Electric will share seven signs you may need rewiring services.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

Are you regularly experiencing flickering or dimming lights in your home? These problems can range from age-related issues, such as wire insulation cracking and pitting, to circuits being overwhelmed by the demands of modern electronics. Ignoring these signs can lead to various safety risks and fire hazards. Call an electrician immediately to inspect the situation and determine whether rewiring is necessary.

Sparking Outlets

While it may be tempting to ignore sparks when plugging or unplugging a cord, this is a sure sign that your home’s wiring is faulty. Generally speaking, there should be no measurable current flow when you disconnect a cord from an outlet. If there is any current flowing, it could indicate that the outlet needs rewiring. Not only that, but it's also important to remember that a sparking outlet presents an electrocution risk for anyone nearby.

Circuit Breakers Tripping

Fuses and circuit breakers are designed to protect your home from electrical overload, but when they are continually blowing or tripping, it may be time for you to consider rewiring. If you’ve had blown fuses or tripped breakers more than a few times in the past year, your home’s wiring likely isn’t up to par, and an electrician should inspect it as soon as possible.

Electrical Shock

Even if the shock you experience does not cause significant physical damage, failing to inspect and fix the problem could lead to risky situations such as sparks or a fire hazard in your home. Therefore, if you experience an electrical shock, it’s best to take proper precautions and consider rewiring. Doing so will keep both yourself and your family safe.

Bulbs Burning Out

If you're regularly replacing the same bulb in one fixture more than once every 12-18 months, it's best to investigate whether or not your wiring needs updating. This problem may indicate that your circuit can't handle the power of whatever bulb is being used, and therefore the wiring within the wall needs some updating. Older homes are more likely to experience this issue as wiring from decades past tends to become outdated.

Buzzing or Sizzling

One of the most obvious signs that your home needs new wiring is when you hear buzzing or sizzling from your outlets. These loud and unusual sounds can be heard when current from the electrical wiring running throughout the home causes energy to leak out in other ways. If you hear these noises, have a qualified electrician inspect your wiring to avoid risks such as potential fires or shocks.

Loose Outlets

Loose outlets that don’t sit flush against the wall may indicate a serious issue with the wiring in your home. If left unchecked, a loose outlet can lead to power outages or even safety hazards such as an electrical shock or fire. Address this issue quickly, as preventative maintenance measures can save time and money.

Ignoring these warning signs could lead to major safety risks. Taking action is crucial in ensuring your home remains a safe and comfortable place to live. Don’t hesitate to contact the trusted experts at Lightning Bug Electric for unmatched wiring and rewiring services.

Call us at (404) 471-3847 or fill out our online contact form to learn how we can help.

Share To: