You might be in need of rewiring if you haven’t inspected your own wiring for three to four years or you’ve purchased a property which requires renovation. According to a study conducted by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), 46% of 2007-2011 home electrical fires started with ignition of products typically found in concealed spaces, with wire or cable insulation contributing to 30% of those fires.
The wiring for any property needs to be safe and properly maintained within the legal guidelines.
You must take action if the following circumstances are true:
Property is Over 40 Years Old
Old wiring can degrade, exposing your home to potential dangers. If you home is old and maintains its original wiring, it is imperative you immediately have it rewired. Wiring systems from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s are not capable of handling the electrical demand from twenty-first century appliances we use every single day, such as televisions, microwaves, hairdryers, washers, dryers, and cellphone chargers. Your usage might be placing increased strain on the wiring.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission states that failing aluminum wire connections tend to overheat, causing a fire. Between 1965 and 1873, an estimated two million homes were built with aluminum wiring. You can distinguish aluminum wiring in your home if “AL” is present on the wiring jacket.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
When your circuit breaker trips, it is preventing electricity from exceeding its flow. Faulty or overheating electrical appliances connected to the circuit can cause the circuit breaker to trip, but mainly old wiring is the main nemesis.
If you notice a persistent burning smell, it’s most likely that you have an electrical short. Any discoloration on switches or outlets may indicate some sort of burning occurring from wiring within the walls.
If you are living in an old property, it’s best to call an Atlanta electrical contractor (404) 471-3847 and have one of our expect electricians inspect and resolve the issue today!