Many people think the only way to save energy is to keep the lights off and run the air conditioner or heater only when absolutely necessary. However, there are many simple steps you can take to reduce your energy bills each month and increase your home's energy efficiency.
In order to save energy, you should:
- Use the washing machine and dishwasher only when fully loaded. Running your dishwasher and laundry machine when they are only partially full will just waste water and result in higher utility bills. It is best to run these machines only when you have a full load. This way, you can save money and avoid wasting water each month.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats that are certified by Energy Star® can result in lower heating and cooling costs each month. These thermostats can be controlled remotely, and will keep your home comfortable while using the least amount of energy possible all year round.
- Plug electronics and small appliances into a power strip, and turn it off when not in use. You can plug your laptop, cell phone charger, and other small devices into a power strip, and turn them all off with one click of a button. This way, you don’t have to remember to turn off each individual device, and you can ensure they are not wasting energy when you are gone.
- Use compact fluorescent lights (CFL) and LED lights instead of traditional incandescent bulbs. Compact fluorescent lights and LED lights are more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs. In fact, it is estimated that CFL lights use 50-80% less energy than incandescent lights, and they last up to 10 times longer. LED lights also save a lot of energy. Since lighting accounts for 10-25% of the average home’s energy bill, it is important to have efficient lighting systems installed.
- Use ceiling fans to cool yourself and your guests. Installing a ceiling fan in your bedroom, living room, and dining room can keep you cool without having to run the air conditioner. This will allow yout ot save money each month. However, it is important to remember to turn it off when you leave the room.
- Have your electrical system inspected on a regular basis. Faulty wiring, improperly installed appliances, and other electrical hazards create a safety risk and also decrease the efficiency of your home. It is important to have professional electricians inspect and repair your electrical system on a regular basis to ensure all the components are functioning properly.
Lightning Bug Electric – (404) 471-3847
At Lightning Bug Electric, we are passionate about helping customers be more energy-efficient. If you want to install a smart thermostat or a ceiling fan in your home, our Marietta electricians will get the job done right the first time. Your satisfaction is our priority. We will work diligently to meet your needs, and will leave your home neat and tidy after we are finished.
Contact our office today to schedule a service.