There’s no better time to examine the state of your house and look for improvement than the new year! Lighting changes are one of the easiest ways to increase the value of your home, but there are other benefits of electrical upgrades.
Benefits of Good Lighting
Good lighting makes us feel happier and can increase our health and safety.
- Impacts our mood - If you’re one of the 10-20% of the population who gets the ‘winter blues,’ natural light is essential. If you can’t change the windows in your home, adding more lights to your home can help. Being in well-lit spaces on dark winter days can help to balance your circadian rhythms and boost your mood.
- Decrease eye strain - You’ve probably seen a million articles about lighting being important in your workplace. That’s because good lighting helps to decrease eye strain. As a bonus, working in a well-lit space can also boost your productivity!
Not only do lighting and electrical upgrades maximize your comfort and safety level, but they can even increase the value of your home if you plan on putting it up for sale.
Does upgrading the electrical panel increase the value of my home?
Upgrading your electrical panel gives any potential buyer peace of mind that the electrical system can handle any appliance or smart technology devices they may require or want. Upgrading the electrical system is often necessary for older homes since outdated electrical systems aren’t sufficient enough to power modern appliances and electronics.
Here are some other smart electrical upgrades you may want to consider:
- Add ceiling fans. If you’re thinking about upgrading your light fixtures, try replacing them with ceiling fans instead. Having additional ceiling fans can make your home more energy-efficient.
- Install GFCI outlets. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets prevent electrical shocks from occurring in wet locations of your home, including bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor areas. Having these in your home is a smart way to maintain a safe home.
- Install recessed lighting. Recessed lighting allows you to hide lights up in the ceiling, eliminating bulky fixtures that can make a room feel cramped and cluttered. When installed properly, these fixtures are better-positioned and offer more effective lighting—adding even more brightness to your room. Make sure to hire a qualified and experienced electrician to install your fixtures effectively and minimize factors like heat loss that can often accompany recessed lighting fixtures.
- Add LED bulbs. LED lighting technology has plunged significantly in cost, meaning LED bulbs now cost only slightly more than a typical incandescent bulb and use a fraction of the energy. In addition, LEDs can have a lifespan of 50,000 hours or more—reducing the number of burnouts or replacement bulbs in your home. Replacing your most-used lights with LED bulbs is a small investment that could save you hundreds on your utility bills over the course of the year.
- Improve outdoor lighting. Increasing your exterior lighting makes it easier to utilize outdoor spaces, even when the sun goes down. Solar-powered lamps are a cheap and simple way to give your outdoor space a serene, peaceful glow in the evening. Other outdoor lighting fixtures, such as string lights or spotlights, allow you to use your outdoor space at all hours of the day. These weather-resistant fixtures are designed to last through all sorts of conditions, including heavy rains, and are one of the most common home upgrades you can invest in.
Contact the team at Lightning Bug Electric for qualified and trustworthy electricians in the Atlanta metro area. Give us a call at (404) 471-3847 or reach out online to schedule your appointment today!