As much as people like to think no one would ever come into their home
and steal their small electronics, jewelry, TVs, cash, and other valuables,
it happens a lot. In fact, the Federal Bureau of Investigation
reports that in 2018, there were an estimated
7,196,045 property crime offenses in the United States. Scary, right? The good news is that there are many
simple, cost-effective things that you can do right now that can help
protect your home from burglars.
Start Deterring Burglars With These Tips:
- Look into installing a home security system, which may help you receive
discounts on your homeowners' insurance.
- Consider getting a large breed dog and if you do, make sure your dog is
seen and heard by the passerby. Large dogs are some of the best deterrents.
- Put up generic signage in your yard and stickers on your front door that
may dupe burglars into thinking your home has a security system.
- Keep your bushes trimmed so burglars have fewer places to hide.
- Landscape your yard with sharp, thorny bushes in vulnerable areas.
- Install motion sensor lights to catch burglars by surprise. Be sure to
make them high enough that they’re out of reach so burglars can’t
unscrew the bulbs.
- All exterior doors should have deadbolts.
- If you have an attached garage, install a deadbolt in the door entering the home.
- When not in use, put bicycles, scooters, and tools away. When you leave
them out, it makes burglars wonder what else you could have inside.
landscape lighting surrounding your home so burglars will think twice about hitting your house.
Is Your Home Security Up to Par?
For help with #10 on the above list,
contact Lightning Bug Electric. We would be glad to make your home safer for you and your guests while
at the same time making it less attractive to thieves.