Beware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home!


In our last blog post, we discussed the importance of having enough working smoke alarms placed throughout your home and business (where applicable). But there’s another important home safety issue and it’s the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The symptoms of CO poisoning are dangerous because they mimic flu-like symptoms. So, if someone is unaware of the dangers of CO poisoning, they can mistakenly believe they have the flu and remain in a home filled with poisonous CO. If such a person stays in a home filled with CO fumes, it can be fatal.

The symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Chest pain
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), if someone breathes in a lot of CO, it can make them pass out or it can kill them. People who are drunk or asleep can die from CO poisoning before experiencing any of the above symptoms.

Where is CO Found in the Home?

In the home, CO can originate from multiple sources. It can come from fumes produced by fireplaces, gas ranges, stoves, grills, or furnaces. If CO fumes are present in a home, it can build up inside the house and poison any humans or animals that inhale the toxic, and sometimes deadly fumes.

We are all at risk of CO poisoning. However, infants, seniors, and people with anemia or chronic respiratory problems are at a greater risk. According to the CDC, “Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.”

Preventing CO Poisoning at Home

One of the best ways to prevent CO poisoning is to install battery-operated CO detectors in your home, and check the batteries when the time changes every spring and fall. It’s best to place the CO detector on every level of your home, and inside your bedroom so it will wake you up if it goes off at night when you’re in bed fast asleep. Lastly, CO detectors should be replaced every five years.

Aside from installing and maintaining CO detectors, be sure to have the HVAC system, water heater, and gas burning appliances checked annually by a qualified technician.

Contact the Atlanta electrical contractors at Lightning Bug Electric to learn more about installing CO and smoke detectors in your home!

Share To: