How old is your home or business building? 20 years? 30 years? 40 years
or more? When was the last time you had your wiring inspected? If your
building is older than 25 years, you could be at risk for an electrical
fire. Electrical fires are frequently caused by old components wearing
out and failing, but these things can be hard to detect since so much
of it is hidden from sight behind your drywall. So how do you know if
you are at risk? Here are a few factors that frequently cause fires in
From the 1880s until the mid-1930s, knob-and-tube wiring was the standard
in running electricity lines through homes and businesses. Today, these
systems are not permitted under business code except in extremely rare
circumstances. If your home or business has this old system of wiring
in it, odds are you should consult an electrician about replacing it with
a modern system as soon as possible. Rodents have a thing for chewing
on these exposed wires, making them tremendous fire hazards.
Modern appliances and equipment sometimes require a much higher amperage
draw to function than old wires are rated to carry. When you overload
a wire with too much amperage, it can get extremely hot, which can start
fires inside your walls. If your electrical system is old, consider having
it inspected by a professional who can tell you whether or not you should
upgrade to wire rated for a higher amperage.
Poor Wiring Modifications
Part of being a home or property owner is improving your property. Those
who have a knack for handiwork (or at least think they do) may have tried
to modify their wiring in the past. This means there could be shoddy connections,
loose live wires, and other serious fire hazards hidden behind your walls.
Be extremely careful when cutting into drywall in an older home.
Aged or Worn Insulation
Over time, insulation on wires can age, become brittle, and crack. In other
cases, the wires may have been chewed by rodents or screwed or nailed
into by accident. This can leave the core of your wire exposed, which
leaves it prone to sparking and potential fires.
Aging or Faulty Breakers
The wires aren’t the only part of your home that’s at risk
for starting a fire; old breakers can malfunction and overload if they
are not maintained or upgraded every few decades. Have your old circuit
breaker inspected by a professional who can test to make sure everything
is still functioning properly, as well as replace any breakers that may
not be working correctly.
Today’s electrical code is far more advanced and rigorous than it
was in decades’ past. With new technology has come new safety standards.
However, older buildings were not required to adhere to these new standards,
and many of them have not been properly retrofitted with the latest in
electrical tech. Odds are, if you have an older building, your electrical
system would not pass inspection today. Let a professional take a look
and work with you to eliminate the fire hazards and protect your property
from a devastating fire.
Lightning Bug Electric, we offer experienced and friendly electrical service from highly-trained
technicians. Our expert Marietta electricians have been in business for
more than 25 years to help Georgia residents keep their electrical system
running flawless. Our exceptional quality workmanship and customer satisfaction
have earned us an A+ Rating from the Better Business Bureau®, one
of the highest honors possible for an electrician. We even offer affordable
24-hour emergency services, because we recognize that electrical problems
don’t always wait until business hours to arise.
For fast, affordable electrical services, call Lightning Bug Electric today
at (404) 471-3847!
Schedule a service for your home or business now.