We all spend a good amount of time in the bathroom bathing, showering, grooming, and getting ready for the day. And a lot of women and teenage girls spend a significant amount of time in the bathroom making themselves look beautiful – they always have and always will. But since the bathroom means ample amounts of “water” mixed with the ever so threatening presence of electricity, it can be a dangerous place.
According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), “Pure water is a poor conductor. But small amounts of impurities in water like salt, acid, solvents, or other materials can turn water itself and substances that generally act as insulators into conductors or better conductors.
“Dry wood, for example, generally slows or stops the flow of electricity. But when saturated with water, wood turns into a conductor. The same is true of human skin. Dry skin has a fairly high resistance to electric current. But when skin is moist or wet, it acts as a conductor. This means that anyone working with electricity in a damp or wet environment needs to exercise extra caution to prevent electrical hazards.”
Electrical safety tips for the bathroom:
- Check light switches and outlets regularly. If they ever feel warm to the touch, this indicates a wiring problem.
- If you have flickering lights or frequent blown fuses, you probably have a wiring problem.
- Check the cords for all the bathroom appliances, such as electric shavers and hair dryers and make sure they aren’t frayed or cracked – these are fire hazards.
- Keep all plugged-in appliances away from the sink. If this is tricky, think of hiring an electrical contractor to install another outlet.
- When you’re not using a bathroom appliance, such as a hair dryer, straightening iron, or electric toothbrush, turn it off and unplug it. If you leave appliances plugged in, they are a shock hazard, especially if they come into contact with water; for example, if they fall into a sink that’s filled up with water.
- Avoid bringing plug-in radios into the bathroom because each new plug-in appliance in the bathroom increases the chances of an electric shock.
Related: 3 Signs of a Home Electrical Problem
We hope this checklist helps keep you and your family safe. The next time you’re looking for an Atlanta electrical contractor, contact Lightning Bug Electric!